Subject Lead: Mrs O'Hara
Link Governor: Ms Linnell
Design and Technology gives children the opportunity to develop skill, knowledge and understanding of designing and making functional products. It helps to nurture creativity and innovation through design, and by exploring the designed and made world in which we all live and work.
• To master practical skills.
• To design, make, evaluate and improve.
• To take inspiration from design throughout history.
Characteristics of Design Technology:
• Significant levels of originality and the willingness to take creative risks to produce innovative ideas and prototypes.
• An excellent attitude to learning and independent working.
• The ability to use time efficiently and work constructively and productively with others.
• The ability to carry out research, show initiative and ask questions to develop an exceptionally detailed knowledge of users’ needs.
• The ability to act as responsible designers and makers, working ethically, using finite materials carefully and working safely.
• A through knowledge of which tools, equipment and materials to use to make their products.
• The ability to apply mathematical knowledge.
• The ability to manage risks exceptionally well to manufacture products safely and hygienically.
• A passion for the subject and knowledge of, up-to-date technological innovations in materials, products and systems.
Using and Applying English and Maths within Design Technology:
• Demonstration of skills taught within focussed English session.
• Debates, discussions, poetry, reports, brochures, fact files, instructions, descriptions.
• Demonstration of skills taught within focussed Maths sessions.
• Data handling for evaluations, accurate measurements, awareness of shape.
Teachers should set high expectations for every pupil. They should plan stretching work for pupils whose attainment is significantly above the expected standard. They have an even greater obligation to plan lessons for pupils who have low levels of prior attainment or come from disadvantaged backgrounds.